Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Not Exactly a Visa Platinum Card

I applied for my E-2 visa yesterday afternoon. The process was only fast and simple because I had printed and completed all the forms from home and brought in all the other required documents. Be prepared. I've been to the Korean Consulate many times so I know how they conduct business. They are friendly and helpful, but when it's busy, they can be curt and demanding even on the phone.

I needed to know if a multiple-entry visa was even possible for EPIK teachers. Upon arrival, I was immediately told that I cannot get a multiple-entry visa, only a single-entry visa. Not all is lost, but it certainly feels like it. The EPIK packet strongly recommends getting a multiple-entry visa, but the Consulate in San Francisco say EPIK teachers don't get that option and reports from other consulates in the U.S. and U.K. are similar. One can still get a re-entry stamp on your visa as a substitute for a multiple-entry visa, but you must do this each time you leave or arrive Korea.

I pickup my visa tomorrow. Next, I have to purchase a plane ticket, possibly roundtrip, with an "imaginary" return date. The tab is on EPIK so I'm not afraid of the cost as long as it's under 1.3 million won for a single trip to Korea (per entrance allowance).

I hope teaching will be just as much fun as reported by Simon and Martina in Bucheon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSX5iLcD8Q


And if you want to know more about Daegu, these kids can give you some more information:

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=ViG5oDOxI0E&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment