Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Laborious Process...Take it From the Top!

How did I get myself involved into teaching in Korea? I sometimes ask myself that same question. Well, it's not as simple as one may think. It started about a year ago when a friend, who has been teaching in a hagwon (private tutoring school), was urging me to visit Seoul. At that time, I was a bit hesitant because I didn't want to take too much time off from work. I decided to delay that thought until December. To be quite frank, I was really planning a trip around a marathon in Atlanta around March that appeared to be cheaper. However, there was a fast marathon in Seoul that I wanted to check out and with a cheap $36 registration fee, it was quite a steal. With persistence from my friend's parents, they strongly urged me to pay her a visit in Seoul (actually, she's in Yongin, a smaller city an hour away) and I succumbed to pressure...and excitement. The plane fare, however, was something else.

Seoul was amazing! Words alone don't do it justice. Despite the language and culture barrier, I met some great people along the way and the trip only deepened my curiosity and amusement of Asian society. I had amazing friends working in Korea and met great people at the guesthouse in Seoul. Notably, there were two female teachers who were teaching in Shizuoka, Japan and really enjoyed their time teaching children who were disciplined, engaged, and intelligent. The teachers caught me off guard when I returned to the guesthouse and they were on their way to explore Seoul; they asked all these annoying questions about basic Korean phrases and questions. Unlike many I've met on trips, they were truly interested in knowing more about the culture and devoted themselves to understand the locals through language. As eternal students, they even took down notes and studied them when they returned to the guesthouse. With prime examples of people who loved the work they were doing abroad, that was probably the first inkling I might be remotely interested in teaching.

Now mind you, I was never really interested in Asia. As a kid I had a strong fascination with Europe and the rich history from the Industrial Age down to World War I and II to Franco's dictatorship in Spain that I learned during high school and college. The first time I was interested in even appreciating Asian culture was during my time spent in Hong Kong a year and a half ago. I wouldn't have made the trip over there if it hadn't been for a wedding of a very remote relative. However, I felt downright stupid not being able to converse and could only vaguely understand people seemingly similar to me. After that experience, I made a vow to myself to return to Asia and be able to speak/write in any Asian language with better coherence, accuracy, and fluency.

In a strange yet predictable outcome of events, the startup company where I had worked for more than three years was letting people go and I was one of them. The company immediately shrank from a staff of 25 down to 10 in no time with several leaving in the beginning of 2010. I knew that the company was taking a dramatic turn, but the Board made the confirmation when they decided to rid of our faithful, yet eccentric CEO around this same time last year. The CEO was replaced by an uncharismatic and unlikeable character that changed the whole dynamic of the team. Overhearing discussions behind locked doors made the situation at our company very tense, and I knew that our company wouldn't last long at least not in San Francisco. The new CEO was brought over from Ohio, which made it even more convincing that operations might be headed in that direction in addition to the convenience of manufacturing plants that were situated nearby. I think it was scary that they laid off almost all of their engineers who were a part of the R&D process; to me, it only meant that the only fruition of this was to sell the company outright in the near future to a huge corporation instead of investing and developing a stronger company. For weeks after being laid off, I was upset but continued on an optimistic search for a job. I was dreading my job for years and I was always afraid that the next day would be my last, so when that day actually came, I'm not sure why that anxious feeling and sweaty palms occurred when I and many others got the "bad" news. Sometimes forced change can be a omen for better things to come, although the situation and outcome may be unexpected. I was feeling complacent in a dead-end job and that is definitely not a good mindset to have--I was getting older but not necessarily wiser and proactive in my life.

EPIK PROCESS or EPIC FAIL?

After doing an extensive search, I came upon two appealing programs that might possibly give rise toward the next phase in my life. I focused on the JET and the EPIK Korea teaching programs. I really didn't have any fear of getting what I want now that I had lost my job and was rock bottom. And furthermore, I had been a tutoring children aged 5-11 after I graduated from college. Granted, I was not the most patient or experienced at that time, but the reward of seeing low-income new immigrant children understand their English assignments was a great feeling.

But why specifically JET and EPIK, you may wonder. Well, JET and EPIK are run by the respective governments of Japan and Korea. I have a deep interest and respect in working in those countries, and I have found a way to do so given my skill set. Because they are run by the government, there is more accountability in the way the program is set up. For example, EPIK guarantees reimbursement of roundtrip airfare, free furbished housing provided, stipend for relocation, and compulsory medical insurance. Compared to a hagwon--a private tutoring academy--pay rate may seem generous, but you contract can be null and void at any time and you can even be working overtime against one's wishes and you'd be lucky if there are benefits attached. As companies, hagwons can go bankrupt at anytime unannounced. The problem with EPIK and JET is that as you are working jointly with the government, the process can be slow and lengthy as one can imagine through bureaucratic red tape. However, JET and EPIK rank very high give the choices and opportunities.

While perusing the JET program website, I was disappointed that there was only one admission deadline per year. I had missed the last one in November and would have to wait another eight months to submit documents. And even then--with interviews, screening, and teaching seminars before the actual placement--the entire process can take an ENTIRE YEAR! I wasn't going to invest and waste a year and a half for a position that was not guaranteed entirely.

I looked into teaching programs in Hong Kong but the selection is limited and more strict than most. I completely understand. If you were actively searching for qualified teachers and instructors, you would only want the best who take language instruction seriously.

The next best option was EPIK Korea. Well, I loved my time in Seoul. Could I really spend an entire year or more teaching in a foreign country? There was only way to find out!

The timing couldn't have been any better. It was now April, and applications were now being accepted till June 15 for September placement. When I found out about EPIK, I spent the entire day focused on completing the application and personal essay. The application process includes consent of verification form, personal essay, personal medical assessment, a passport photo, copy of university diploma apostilled (copy w/apostille not required if applying through consulate/embassy), state criminal background check apostilled, two sealed recommendation letters from credible sources from job or university, two sealed transcripts, copy of passport, and TEFL certificate. It may seem like a lengthy process, but it really is more of a test of attention to detail which I will mention later.

Who Should I Turn To?

For those who are unwaveringly convinced that teaching in Korea is their calling, there are three ways to complete the application process. One, you can apply directly to EPIK office in Seoul. Two, you can find a recommended recruiter by EPIK. Three, you can apply through the Korean Consulate/Embassy--the route that I selected.

There was a reason why I thought the Korean Consulate would be the best option. First, residing in San Francisco, the Korean Consulate can be the best direct contact to refer all of your most pressing questions without embarrassing yourself or voiding your application when confronting EPIK directly. The Korean Consulate has an Education Director, who was more than willing to guide me during this process. However, this is not to say that I was afraid of being rejected. I communicated more often via email with the Education Director. She was the guiding light throughout this process because I'm quite sure, that without her, who knows how far I would have gotten with EPIK. When dealing with Koreans, it's more important for them to just get the job done. However, I was just not satisfied with this attitude because I'm a stickler to detail. After submitting all of my documents and application to the Education Director, she quickly told me that the whole package was sent to Seoul for further review. Nail-biting, huh? Well, for sure. I felt that everything went through a deep, black hole. I spent more than a month worrying that my application was rejected. I've applied to many jobs to know that when you don't get a reply within a week, no news is bad news. But in bizarro world, Korea, no news is actually good news. I've read that those who were rejected were immediately notified before they were able to forward all their documents.

My situation was unique, on the other hand. You see, most would rather apply via recruiter or directly with EPIK. There probably is no good reason for that, except for location purposes or that the Korean Consulate was not accommodating during the process. However, and perhaps I was lucky, the Education Director immediately accepted me upon meeting with her although I had not known at the time. Most report that a lengthy 30min-1 hour interview was healthy. I couldn't even recall if my interview was more than 10 minutes and it was just your casual small talk. The Education Director cut the interview short because she had another applicant who arrived late and had to be interviewed as well. I politely left and took the bus home in my shiny suit, thinking was that an interview or not?

That day, I got a phone call about some of the documents that need to be resubmitted. I agreed to get those completed and returned, but I still had no way of knowing if the wheels were still in motion and that I was accepted or if they were still screening applicants out. My mind continued to race and nothing seemed to quench my anxiety as major cities Incheon, Busan, and Jeju were filled that day! Only two of those cities were my pick. I still eyed another city, hoping that one wouldn't be filled anytime soon; but the outlook certainly didn't look too good at this point.

April turned to May and May had turned to June. I couldn't wait any longer and I had to email the Education Director again if the contracts were coming in at this point. She replied that it takes a long time to get a decision through main EPIK office in Seoul. Moreover, I didn't want to send too many emails/phone calls to her because I've read that applicants who have badgered the Seoul office about their application got rejected in no time; even if it were a scare tactic, would it really be worth the risk to find out whether it be in Seoul or at the Korean Consulate?

On a whim of being up in arms, I couldn't stand reading from so many people that their recruiters told them where they will be since May! And I still didn't know if I was accepted or not. So one last email, the definitive last nail into the coffin, as they say, if I got the position. And I know, enough of the colorful metaphors, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back and I got a reply that was sent to all others, who I presume also applied via Korean Consulate of SF. Congratulations, the heading stated, and that was all I needed to put my head down in elation and the fierce fist pump into the air!

The Best Method?

The following is my assessment of pros and cons for submitting your application/documents to EPIK:

Recruiter

Pro: Personal guidance and prep of application and documents, accountability that applicant obtains position, will overwhelming get the job done, response rate of acceptance is immediate

Con: Recruiter can be flaky and irresponsible if not on same page or good match, interview is still conducted by EPIK in Seoul (applicants must anticipate phone/Skype interview in the middle of the night/early morning as it is conducted during business hours in Seoul)

EPIK Korea

Pro: Contact is direct, process is streamlined with no mediator to detract involvement of application/documents, interview is immediate

Con: Selection can be more discriminating based upon first impressions, interview is lengthy, harder to correct oneself during process if you don't appear to meet their objectives/ideas for a qualified candidate, expensive to pay on your own for submission of documents via mail

Korean Consulate

Pro: Personal and trustworthy contact for point of reference, location is nearby, documents/application secure, fast, and organized and sent directly to EPIK from trusted contact person (Education Director), glowing recommendation from Education Director (it depends), able to translate/assist with Korean language barriers, special pointers in making application/documents stand out, don't need to get copy of diploma apostilled--color copy and original diploma will spare you the trouble, process of getting E-2 visa is quicker as one is already acquainted with the Education Director and interview procedure is nullified, all documents including NOA/contracts must go to Consulate anyway so you might as well conduct everything from start to finish at the nearest Consulate

Con: Korean ethic of not knowing/confirmed of acceptance for months, small language barriers, may not have the benefit of having the same Education Director if you apply

Documents and Application?
μ™œ κ·Έλž˜μš”?

I previously mentioned the application process. The application in itself, if you can read and follow directions, is completely straight forward. If not, you shouldn't even apply. You must complete the application as thoroughly as possible. Don't leave unnecessary gaps if you can prevent that. You want to leave the impression that you have nothing to hide and that you are completely confident and able to present information that makes EPIK want to accept you. Just because you are applying to Korea, it doesn't mean that standards of applying to a quality institution go out the window.

I want others who are applying/thinking about applying through EPIK (primarily from California) to understand that it's not as confusing as originally thought if you spend the time and are willing to dedicate yourself to fulfill this process of highs and lows. I didn't find sufficient guidance, especially for me who submitted docs via Korean Consulate. So I decided to supply one for you, the reader, and as a point of reference for myself. More importantly, and if I were to do this process all over again (oh God!), I would have prepared all the essential documents sans application (application isn't available yet) before acceptance period so that you ensure you get the location that you prefer based on the first-come first-served principle or if you have any outstanding documents that need to be submitted that you may have originally forgotten.

There are some things to consider. First, make sure you understand how your state conducts background checks. You can get a LiveScan fingerprinting from a UPS Store. It takes a week to get a generic letter from Robert Santos and the State of California hopefully stating that you are clear and that it didn't identify your fingerprints of any criminal activity in the past. Then you get that generic document and get that notorized. You must write on that document that "I, so-and-so, signed this on XX in XX and is correct and true." The notary will attach an addendum and sign and stamp the form. You send the generic form, the notorized addendum, a letter to the State of California declaring why you need the document apostilled and location of submittal, a return envelope, and $25 (current price) to the California Secretary of State office to get that appostiled. You wait a week to get it returned with a shining apostile granting you permission to submit form in designated country (South Korea, in this case, just to make sure you're on the same page). Man, if I had known this before and if it was more straightforward, I could've saved myself the $25 for remailing the package of my previous mistake. Also note, that there are scheming notaries that will charge in excess of $150 just to do this simple job for you. It doesn't even make the process any faster. $25 vs. $150+, you make the choice.

The criminal background check was a pain in the ass if you're ill-informed. So what else can trouble you? Oh yes, the letter of recommendation. One can be problematic, but two can cause a headache. It's not that I wouldn't get a glowing review of my performance or recommendation from my previous job. But the timing was stressful for my managers. When I was laid off from my last job, the last thing the senior executives noted was to ask them for a letter of recommendation or reference. Well, a true test to prove the worth of one's words can be outlined through their actions.

I contacted my previous CEO and senior VP of my past workplace, and they immediately decided to write letters of recommendation for me. The tough part was to ask and not beg for one in a diplomatic fashion. And that's downright hard, given that everyone is busy under these trying times. After an error of directions on my part, I had my CEO hand-write my letter of recommendation! How many of done that for you? In any case and although it was a noble effort, EPIK couldn't accept it--not because they didn't trust me that it was a great recommendation--rather that they were unable to read his penmanship! So I had to embarrass myself and ask him to type it on previous company letterhead, which he cannot do as suggested by his attorney. But he was more than type the letter and sign off with a real signature, and EPIK accepted it.

In the second case, my previous senior VP, it was more difficult. He was such a genuinely, nice person. But due to the stress of the company's corporate reshuffling and new CEO, it was difficult to get a hold of him. I sent him, oh, a bunch of emails, that must have driven him up the wall! At first he was outraged when I told him that the letter of recommendation had to be hand-written completely. But after I corrected myself, he was more than happy to write a letter of recommendation. However, he only sent back a PDF, which was only half the bargain. I needed the original and so did EPIK. That was similar to pulling teeth as he had been living away from his family and traveling far and wide for the company. I was damn elated to get my original letter of recommendation, sealed, and mailed to me because the next day upon requesting/receiving the recommendation, he was fed up with the situation at the new location that he left the company. Good timing is of essence.

When All is Said and Done, the City Lucky to Host Me Is...



DAEGU !

I was on the stationary bike trainer when I received a phone call. I was sweaty and out of breath and a bit disoriented when I picked up the phone. A family member almost hung up, thinking that it may have been a telemarketer at 6:30PM. Thankfully, the call was handed to me as it was direct from Daegu Education Office, congratulating me on my acceptance to teach English to middle school and high school students! They wanted to know if I would accept. Accept? Are you crazy? Of course, YES, YES, YES! They were still waiting for the original letter of recommendation from my previous CEO, which the Education Director sent out on July 7th/8th (it's July 15 today).

Daegu was the other city that was definitely high on my list. I wouldn't have picked it if it hadn't been for the IAAF Track and Field World Championships in 2011. I also picked Daegu because of the huge ex-patriot community and the 2.5 hour connection via KTX high speed rail from Seoul and Busan.
So being totally isolated is not really realistic. While I do love Seoul, Korea is not just that but other provinces and regions as well. Also the application for Seoul SMOE require more work and proof that you had extensive prior experience in teaching.

I will update again soon, perhaps when I receive my NOA and contracts--living proof that I'm not full of shit and that I really do have a job abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment